During the development phase of your website, it’s a good idea to get a list of some keyword for your website. It’s important you keywords reflect your content of your website along with your services and products.
So what are Keywords
Keywords are basically the search queries which people type in the search box of the search engines to search for the information needed by them. Everyone has got its own thought process and you never know what combinations of words a person might use to form a key phrase with which they search the relevant information. This also depends on what they are searching for.
Keywords are important from the searcher’s perspective and also the search engine perspective. The search engines match the query strings from the search box to the content available in their database so that they can list the most relevant websites available for the searcher in the results.
Hence, it is very important that the content your website has the keywords with which you want your website to be listed in the organic listings of the search engines. But, again we do not have to stuff or repeat the keywords just to make the website rank as this will resort to spamming. The content should be formed keeping in mind the visitor with the keyword occurring naturally in the flow of the content once or twice.
Suggested use of keywords on the web page:
- Ensure that your target keyword appears in the document text as many times as possible. But remember that no keyword should just be placed on an ad hoc basis — try to mention each key term in a natural way as you are writing, so that any sentence containing a keyword could actually make grammatical sense. Besides, the repetition should be such that your human visitors do not feel that you have deliberately repeated a particular phrase throughout the page. First of all, you make a website for your visitors, not for search engines
It’s a good idea to show the content of your website to someone who completely does not know about your website and services (usually my grandma J), if they say it reads well, then your good to go. If they look up at you in a weird way an ask why you have repeated your service X amount of times, then it’s a good idea to go and redo the content of the site. Basically the content should be easily read by everyone. Keeping this in mind you can’t go wrong.
As regards to keywords there are concepts which have to be applicable to the content of any web page i.e:
- Keyword Proximity: It refers how close the keywords are placed in the content of the web page.
- Keyword Frequency: It refers the no. of times the keyword is repeated in the content.
- Keyword Density/Weight: It refers to the percentage of keywords contained within the total number of indexable words within a web page.
- Keyword Prominence: As the word suggest it refers to how prominent the keywords are on the page. If the keyword is available in the title, heading, content, footer, alt text and other aspects of the web page then it is considered to be a prominent keyword for that page.
The most important task is to decide upon the keywords. At present the keyword suggestion tools of the search engines Google, Yahoo and Bing are quite reliable.
Earlier the search trend was for generic keywords (one or two words in the search query) but now the search patterns have changed and become more specific hence now the focus is on long tail keywords i.e. 3 to 4 words in the search query.
its best to research your niche, and chose correct keywords, that relate your website. As having incorrect keywords, or not realistic keywords, will be a factor for your website ranking well in search results.